The College of Humanities is pleased to announce a new Teaching & Outreach Grants Program, which is designed to support creative and innovative teaching and outreach projects by COH faculty in the coming year. The application deadline is 4:30 p.m. on January 31, 2017.
All awards are competitive and based on resources available. Awards are up to $5,000. Applicants are encouraged to show financial support from other sources. Projects with the potential for generating outside funding are also especially welcome.
Who is eligible to apply?
Faculty at all levels of appointment in the College of Humanities.
Selection criteria (several of the following):
- Clarity and reasonableness of the narrative, procedures, timeline, line-item budget, and budget justification;
- Significance of the project to enhance core values and visions of the College;
- Potential for project to disseminate/promote/highlight diversity and inclusion;
- Potential for attracting students to the College;
- Potential connections among the College and local and regional communities;
- Potential for creating and disseminating new knowledge, creative expression, or pedagogy that will bring national or international recognition to the College;
- Significance of the project to the academic dossiers and careers of applicants;
- Potential for creating opportunities for graduate students;
- Funding from other sources and/or the potential for future funding from sources external to the University of Arizona.
Examples of expenses eligible for support from the COH Teaching & Outreach Grants Program:
- Summer salary or other types of supplemental compensation for faculty;
- Expenses for travel to conferences, archives, academic institutions, libraries, etc. (local, national, and international);
- Invite speakers or consultants on campus / host symposia;
- Teaching- and/or outreach-related curriculum development;
- Outreach-related learning activities;
- Field trips.
Examples of expenses NOT eligible for support from the COH Teaching & Outreach Grants Program:
Activities appearing on the list below are there not because they are not valued by the College but because limited resources do not allow funding for such endeavors. Please consult your unit’s business manager for questions. In some cases, projects such as those below may be eligible for funding through alternative sources on campus (see list below).
- Standard equipment such as computers and printers;
- Proposals for events/projects that have already been completed or lack sufficient lead time.
Please submit the required application materials by no later than 4:30 p.m. on January 31, 2017. All materials should be submitted as attachments to a single email to Lorenia Romero (email@example.com). Questions about the program or the application can be directed to Associate Dean Kim Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Awardees will be notified approximately five weeks after the deadline. Grants funds must be used within one calendar year from the date of notification.
Recipients of grants will be expected to:
- File a brief report on the outcome of the project within 60 days of project completion. The report should include a final budget detailing the expenditures of the funds awarded, and a 250-word abstract that will be published on the COH website.
- Any resulting publications must clearly identify the COH Teaching & Outreach Grants Program as a funding source.
Other Funding Sources:
Projects may also be eligible for funding from other sources such as:
- Office of Student Engagement, University of Arizona
- UA Foundation Gift Center
- Arizona Humanities Council
College of Humanities
University of Arizona