This three-week program focuses on providing students opportunities to develop writing fluency and confidence in academic writing through project-based activities. On a typical day, students spend the morning reading, writing, discussing, and presenting their writing. In the afternoon, students attend workshops in which they experiment with various types of writing for different subject areas. The students will produce an anthology of writing by the end of the session. Throughout the course of the program participants will have opportunities to participate in UA activities. High school students (grades 9-12 in the coming school year) may participate.
Please note that this is not an overnight camp. Housing and meals are not provided by WSIP.
Tuition and Fees
- $15 Non-refundable application processing fee (does not guarantee acceptance into the program)
- $300 Tuition (Three tuition awards are available. Additional application materials will be required.)
This is a competitive program. Application does not guarantee acceptance. Up to 20 students will be selected.
Application Packet Requirements
- Completed on-line application
- 200 word Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
- Application Fee
- Additional requirements to apply for Tuition Award: Must be college bound 11th or 12th grader; Must be first person in immediate family to attend college; Must include GPA; 200 word essay
Application deadline May 1, 2017.
** The Young Writers Institute is the recipient of a 2017 College of Humanities Teaching and Outreach Grant. **